The existing funeral home had been added to on several occasions. The central section of the building was originally an 1850 two-story residence known as the John Meetze House. It was spared the torch by Union troops due to emotional pleas made by the Meetze’s slaves.
A casket selection/display room was added to one side of the dwelling in the early 1970's followed by a subsequent flanking addition in the early 1980. The last addition housed a small funeral chapel. The two additions were sensitively designed and constructed to augment the residential aesthetic of the original building.
The original residence was a stately building with clapboard siding with a total of around 6,000 square feet. We were commissioned to significantly renovate the existing structure and to sensitively design the following as a part of a new 8,000 square foot addition:
A 250 seat chapel
Clergy meeting rooms
A new state-of –the-art casket selection/display room
A cremation casket/urn selection/display room
The concept for the addition was to provide a central unenclosed courtyard to bring light into the otherwise dark interior spaces of the addition. The new spaces were arranged around the courtyard. This allowed the use of double pitched roofs and allowed us to maintained a residential scale in the new addition.